Students typically earn six credits per year and twenty-four credits in four years of upper school.
Although not required, Long Trail strongly encourages students to take four years of mathematics, science, and social studies. The Dean of Academics must approve exceptions to the required course of study.
In order to qualify for a diploma, students must satisfy the various departmental requirements. Students are highly encouraged to take courses in all disciplines each year.
- English = 4 credits
- Mathematics = 3 credits (4 recommended)
- Science = 3 credits (4 recommended)
- Social Studies = 3 credits (4 recommended)
- World Language*= 3 credits (same language)
- The Arts = 2 credits
- Additional = 6 credits
TOTAL = 24 credits
*The three year World Language requirement may be waived by the Dean of Academics based on student need.
Beginning with the Class of 2023, all students are required to:
- Complete a minimum of 8 documented hours of community service per year.
- Take a public speaking class.
- Adhere to the Athletic Participation Policy (see Health and Wellness section).
Students may also complete summer work in order to accelerate into a higher-level course for the following year with prior approval; however, this summer work will not fulfill graduation requirements.
Long Trail students who complete the International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme, fully meeting all of their requirements, may also receive an International Baccalaureate Diploma.
LTS will honor all courses granted credit by a sending school provided the school is an accredited secondary school. LTS will not apply middle school transfer credits to its upper school requirements, nor does it accept independent study credit from other secondary schools.