Long Trail School is a coeducational, college preparatory day school located in Dorset, Vermont with 225 students in grades 6 through 12. We take pride in small class sizes, a talented and committed faculty, welcoming community spirit and a rigorous curriculum complemented by the celebrated International Baccalaureate Program. Long Trail School is the first Vermont school to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, a rigorous course of study designed for highly motivated juniors and seniors. The IB curriculum emphasizes how to learn, how to problem solve, and how to reach considered conclusions on the many issues that will face students in the future.
Founded in 1975, Long Trail has grown from a small rented space serving 14 students to a 60,000-square-foot schoolhouse on a 16 acre campus. Over the past four decades our campus has expanded to accommodate both Middle and Upper Schools, a state-of-the-art Fieldhouse, fitness center, athletic fields, performing arts center and a prolific greenhouse.
Long Trail students come from a range of nearby towns in southwestern Vermont and New York state, as well as several foreign countries.
Long Trail School is state approved by the Vermont State Board of Education and accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. It is authorized as an IB World School (#6248) by the International Baccalaureate Organization.
Other Academic Association Memberships Include:
- Association of College Counselors of Independent Schools
- College Board
- Independent Schools Association of Northern New England
- National Association of Independent Schools
- National Association of College Admission Counseling
- National Middle School Association
- New England League of Middle Schools
- New England Association of College Admission Counseling
- Vermont Independent Schools Association
- Vermont Principals’ Association
- Vermont League of Middle Schools
- Location Dorset, Vermont
- Grades at School 6-12
- Enrollment 241
- Faculty Members 46
- Student/Teacher Ratio 6 to 1
- Average Class Size 12
- Founded 1975
- Graduation Rate 100%
- College or University Matriculation Rate 97%
- Colleges Accepting Recent Graduates Brown, Yale, UVM, Middlebury, Stanford
- Mascot Mountain Lions
- Athletic Conference Southern Vermont League
- Campus 16 idyllic acres in the heart of Dorset Hollow